a weekly round-up of our favorite finds from the front lines of food
- Fabulous modern real estate for the stylish urban honey bee (left), Philips has designed a new at-home hive.
- Food and fantasy merge in a collection of photos by Matthew Carden, like monks in a mushroom forest and Scuba divers in your wine.
- Veggie plush toys are great, but pizza sleeping bags take snuggling with your food to a whole new level.
- An article on Seven Evolved Dining Habits That Every Restaurateur Should Know in 2012 highlights a few of our favorites: more social networking from chefs, innovations in local sourcing and food trucks.
- Cities are trying to lure the entrepreneurs of the new gastroconomy. New Orleans is holding a NOLAbound contest to bring entrepreneurs to the city. Detroit is looking at opening up the city to more farming: "I don't know what will happen... I know some people have expressed concern about turning Detroit into a plantation. That's not going to happen. This isn't about sharecropping. It's about creating economic activity."
- If you're ready to get active, American Farmland Trust is offering a free webinar December 13 on local planning for food and agriculture.
- Need a urban farming pep talk? Check out this short video with urban farmer and blogger Erik Knutzen.