a weekly round-up of our favorite finds from the front lines of food
- A tradition that's seen better days, the NewYork City seltzer man. Walter Backerman, third generation in the trade, tells us how it is. Vintage seltzer bottles (right) are still in use and get filled at the Gomberg Seltzer Works in Canarsie, the last seltzer factory in the city. Take a video peak into a forgotten world. "I offer people an option. It's called stability. Sometimes old is better. There are things that were meant to last."
- The latest, and super-flashy, urban garden accessory — a roof-top geodesic dome with aquaponics system.
- Wasting food does more than just waste money. A new study from Edinburgh University says: Wasted Milk Pollutes As Much As 20,000 Cars.
- An old-time brew is making a comeback in Vermont — maple sap beer.
- What customers are wondering when they book hotels — how close is the nearest specialty grocery store? Opportunity alert for hotels — healthy take away options.
- Pork Fairy Quiz: Test your sausage knowledge. And you can expand your charcuterie knowledge with a photo gallery of sausage of the world and a loving tribute to the one of the world's favorite comfort food.